Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:00 P.M.

I have been studying for a test tomorrow in ServSafe class. We are studying Biological Contaminants, Chemical and Physical Contaminants. All the different toxins caused from pathogens and fish and plants, etc ... It is very interesting and very scary. I know too much now. I can't go into a restaurant now without wondering about the kitchen staff and the food they place in front of me. In this case Ignorance is definitely bliss. Too late for me now.

Changing the subject! We have been cooking potatoes and veggies. Asparagus, eggplant, spinach. Oh, yea, today, I made creamed spinach and the teacher decided he wanted me to try to puree my creamed spinach and add cheese and fresh minced ginger to pour over the eggplant that I was frying. It was a pretty green which may not look appetizing to the public but I loved the flavor combined with the eggplant which was breaded with panko bread crumbs. I have never used panko bread crumbs (Asian, I believe). I think I will buy a bag at the store soon. I like them better than regular bread crumbs. They are light and airy. Crispy, when fried or baked too. My partner was making a tomato sauce to drizzle over the fried eggplant. It was good but I liked the spinach puree. My husband tried the green sauce and liked the combination too. He couldn't taste the ground fresh ginger but I could. I thought it could use more ginger but my teacher said it probably should be a subtle flavor, not to overpower the sauce. Honey, next time I make it for my family, I am definitely overpowering mine. I like the way my teacher will tell me to try something out of the blue or tell me what else I can do with the food I am preparing. The more I learn about the cooking techniques the more creative I am becoming. It is getting more exciting and challenging as we go along.

We are having an egg lab tomorrow. Not necessarily looking forward to tomorrow. I think we will be frying eggs, over easy, sunny side up, etc ...

I am tired, I think I will close for now. It is time to put in some zzzzzzzzzzzz's.

No comments: