Sunday, April 6, 2008

Well I Did It

I finally decided to pursue my dream.  I am going to Culinard school.  I have been a stay at home mom since March, 1996, when I decided to take my buyout with BellSouth (AT&T).  I don't regret that decision because I have a close relationship with my daughter and  raised my stepson through the toughest years of his life.  I am happy to say that my stepson is an adult with a family of his own.  He served in Iraq and is now in Germany with his family.  My daughter has just turned 15 and has now received her driver's permit (ugh).  We are slowly teaching her to drive.  We are going to take it very slowly.

 

I am happy to say that my husband and daughter are very supportive of my decision to go back to school.  My daughter thinks it is cool.  I am not sure if she thinks it is cool for me or for her because I won't be home in the afternoon when she gets off the bus.  She is seeing it as more freedom for her but I am not concerned because my husband is a night shifter and is home during the day.  He will be upstairs asleep (maybe), he is a light sleeper during the day.  Anybody who has been on night shift knows what I am talking about.

 

I am excited and nervous about my classes.  Orientation is Thursday, April 3.  I start on April 7th.  My class time is 12:30 to 5:30.  I haven't had to stay focused for five hours straight since I worked at BellSouth(AT&T).  It is going to be an adjustment but I can do this. 

 

There is so much to learn and I hope to be a sponge and just absorb it all, learn everything I can and have the best attitude in class.  I am looking forward to studying again and a little apprehensive about taking test.  It has been a long time since I have taken any test that counted towards grades.  Can you say test anxiety?  I hope that it will be better than I remember.

 

I am going into this with an open mind.  I really don't know what my long term goal is yet.  I just want to take one day at a time.  Once I take these courses and finish my externship, I should know which direction I want to go.  I am excited to be going down a different path because anything could happen.  Not knowing what is around the corner is exciting.

 

Well, Thursday, April 3, 2008, orientation day.  Count down, three more days till my first class.  Heard a fabulous chef, who teaches the advanced classes is scheduled to teach a fundamentals class, my class.  He doesn't normally teach this particular class, how exciting.  Maybe he likes the schedule, 12:30-5:30.  I have my tools now and have to figure out a way to mark them so I can distinguish them from the other students tools.  Thank God, they change the hats to berets for this session.  The other hat was tall and I know would've have been severely goofy on me.  I don't wear hats very well, except for baseball caps (who can't wear one of those?)  I am so excited and nervous all at the same time, I can't wait to see how much I have learned by this time next week.  There are only going to be 8 people in my class.  The max you can have is 12 students.  I hope the class size doesn't change but if it does, that is ok too.

 

In a few more hours, I will be attending my first class.  As I write this, my husband is taking my daughter to the doctor.  She woke up this morning with a sore throat.  I usually take her to the doctor but luckily my husband is off tonight so he is taking care of her.  Kirk being a night shifter does has some advantages.  It is a beautiful day and I am ready to get going.  Here I go ...

2 comments:

Kirk Creel said...

Hi Hon,
Good luck!

Love You

AR said...

Way cool! Best of luck to you on your new venture.