Saturday, April 19, 2008

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Crap, I blogged last night (Friday night) but the power went out in the middle of writing.  I lost everything.  I guess I will try to start over and remember what I wrote about.  I write what is in my head at the time, feelings and all and it is hard to remember.  It is hard for me to capture the same mood and thoughts again.  When that mood and rhythm is gone it is just gone for good.

We finished up sauces and will be cooking with dry heat method next week.  We have midterms next week.  I actually should be studying right now instead of blogging. 

All in all, it was a good week.  Learned more about sauces and made a Hollandaise sauce.  I will have to make another one for midterms.  It is tricky but I think I can do it again.  I screwed up only one of my french dressing yesterday (I broke the sauce).  Luckily, I won't have to do that one for the test.  We will have to do another consomme and Bechamel sauce for our midterm.  I have a long list of skills we will have to know for our midterm on Thursday.  I still need practice in my cuts.  I just need practice, practice, practice.

I have been bringing home sauces that were made at school.  Today, for lunch, I made fettucine out of a Supreme sauce.  Supreme is a veloute sauce (mother sauce) with cream added to it.  Today, I just reheated the sauce added some fresh grated, parmesan reggiano cheese and poured over egg noodles.  I served it with baked asparagus spears and a spinach salad using a "basic vinaigrette" I had to make in class yesterday.  Voila, it was a beautiful and yummy lunch for a Saturday afternoon.  I love being able to bring home dishes and sauces we make in class.  It makes life easier for me and my family gets to eat good too.  I am spending a great deal of money for these classes and it makes it worth every penny for me to be able to learn and feed my family simultaneously.  Love it, love it, love it.

Well, I have got to get back to the books.  Read ... Read... Read...

No comments: