Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Monday, May 5, 2008

Wow, time is going by fast.  Our finals are next week, I have a ServSafe final and my cooking practical next Monday.  I also found out my paper is due next Monday after our teacher told us we didn't have to turn it in until the ninth week.  He made a mistake so I've got to hustle to get it written this week.  I have a externship this Saturday night at the Donnelly House.  It is a gorgeous antebellum home on Birmingham's Southside.  I hope I can get some experience there because my last externship was a bust.  I showed up at the Pelham Civic Center and nobody was there.  Come to find out, they had the wrong date (typo) on the externship calendar.  I was upset to say the least.  I did a little complaining about it when I got back to school.  Apparently, these externships have the reputation for being a waste of time.  We have to do these, because they are part of our curriculum, (100 points).  The chefs at the school don't have anything positive to say about these orientation externships.  The big externship at the end is when we will be able to get our feet wet.

Been researching for my paper.  I am doing it on the History of the Hamburger.  Oh my God, there are so many people that claim to be the inventor of the hamburger.  Ground meat patties have been dated back to the Egyptians.  Back in the 1200's, the Mongols would stash raw beef and sometimes lamb in between the saddle and their horse and ride all day without stopping to make camp.  At the end of the day the meat would be tenderized enough to eat. Kublai Khan later brought it to Russia.  They called it "Steak Tartare'.    The Russians called the Mongols, Tartars, hence the name "Steak Tartare".

Then again, the Roman army was known to eat ground meat in between two buns, eating and marching at the same time.  Sounds like they invented food on the go way before the Americans did.

Our teacher knows so much about the history of food.  He has a food history story just about every day in his lectures.  He is so amazing to me.  There is so much to learn about food that you could never stop learning and know it all.  No way!

These classes are getting harder and more challenging but I am learning so much more than I thought I would.  I guess I didn't  know what to expect from these classes.  I just wanted to learn about food.  Food is such a broad term to me now.  It is all about the history and how all these foods have evolved into what we are eating now.  When humans evolve so does the food we eat.  The way we prepare it, the convenience of food, the demands of the changing consumer.  It is so fascinating to me.  I could go on.

I am getting tired and it is now midnight as I close this blog.  As I close this, I am reminded that my husband is on his computer downstairs.  I think I will go get him and make him come to bed too.  He is actually off tonight so we can be snug as a bug in a rug together.  See ya. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

No comments: